Friday, April 2, 2010

Motherly clock?

Most of of my dreams lately involve a baby. I have never experienced that before. Only once the baby was mine in the dream. I am told that it means that my clock is ticking and I am not quite sure if such a clock exists and where or when it functions and why. I have for some reason always admired Abou al-Alaa al-Ma'arri's saying - or what he requested be written on his grave- "that is what my father doomed me with and I have doomed no one" (My translation or interpretation). I entertain the idea that humans' (and animals') bodily functions are all devised to serve the purpose of procreation. Somehow, human beings are doomed by their own nature.

4 comments:

  1. The translation of the word in the poem should be more like "inflicted".

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Inflicted" is a better translation for sure but the word in Arabic sounds to mean to me more something like "cursed".

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, on the contrary. Jana yajni can be used positively, as in jana rizqan halalan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not when it comes with 'ala: "jana 'ala ahadihim" is negative. no?

    ReplyDelete